Whether you’re seeking a vibrant city experience, a tranquil home, or a blend of both, St. Louis offers a diverse range of amenities and a unique lifestyle that make it the perfect destination for your next home-sweet-home.
Where Culture and Creativity Converge
One thing Saint Louis is famous for is it’s neighborhoods, one of the most popular ones is Central West End, a dynamic neighborhood where history and innovation co-exist. And Washington University School of Medicine campus is located right here in Central West End.
Explore the charming streets lined with historic homes, trendy boutiques, and art galleries. Don’t miss the world-class dining scene, featuring an array of international cuisines. The Central West End is the epitome of urban sophistication.
Forest Park: A Green Oasis in the Heart of the City
WashU’s medical campus is located right next to the Forest Park. This sprawling urban park is even larger than New York City’s Central Park and offers something for everyone. Stroll through lush gardens, visit world-class museums, and enjoy outdoor activities like boating, biking, and picnicking. Best of all, it’s free to enter!
The Art Museum, St. Louis Zoo and History Museum are all located in the Forest Park with no cost to enter! These are great places to enjoy a weekend or take friends and family to!
Affordable Living and Peaceful Lifestyle
St. Louis offers an affordable cost of living that allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds. Rent is low, giving you more room in your budget to explore and experience the city. Average rent per bedroom is about $700/month while apartment with multiple bedrooms typically rents for $1300-$1500. Commute in the city takes 10-20 minutes on average by car and metro and bikes are great options as well. The quiet lifestyle here is perfect for those seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of big cities. You can enjoy a serene pace of life while still having access to exciting urban amenities.
Rent estimate in St. Louis compared to other cities:
|St. Louis||Bay Area||Seattle|
Popular neighborhoods for graduate students to live:
- University City – A 10-15 minute commute to medical campus with lots of affordable & stylish apartments. Great food options as well.
- Central West End – Walking distance to campus with higher rent. Lots of restaurants and a neighborhood Whole Foods!
- Skinker DeBaliviere – Right next to Forest Park, 10 minute commute to campus (or 15 minutes by bike). Close to everything!
- DeMun – A historic neighborhood adjacent to Forest Park and WashU campus with lots of local attractions such as Hi-Pointe Theatre and Clementine’s Creamery.
- Dogtown – Historically Irish, this neighborhood is the location of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, and is close to an array of local restaurants/brewery. It is 10 minute drive and 15 minute by bike from the medical campus.
- Shaw – Another historic neighborhood within 10 minute drive from medical campus. Shaw neighborhood is located by the beautiful Missouri Botanical Garden and Tower Grove Park. Enjoy unlimited admissions to the botanical garden with a membership.
- Downtown St. Louis – Lots of spacious and affordable apartments with convenient amenities. Take the metro to easily access campus. Go to a Cardinal’s Game at the Busch Stadium or watch a musical at the Fox.
World Class Food Scene
If you’re considering making St. Louis your home, you’re in for a treat, literally! Our city’s food scene is a vibrant testament to its rich cultural diversity and culinary heritage.
St. Louis embraces flavors from around the world. From authentic Italian cuisine in The Hill neighborhood to mouthwatering Vietnamese pho, our international dining scene will transport your taste buds on a global adventure. Some of our favorite restaurants are
Asian: Corner 17, Asian Kitchen, Chilispot, CateZone, Thai Bowl
Italian: Guido’s, Mama’s On The Hill, Maggiano’s, Lombardo’s Trattoria
Mexican: Mi Rachito, Taqueria El Bronco, Rosalita’s Cantina
African: Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant, Darba Somalian Restaurant, African Palace
Indian: Everest Cafe, Himalayan Yeti, Anis Hyderabad, Turmeric
Mediterranean: Sultan Mediterranean Restaurant, Majeed Mediterranean Restaurant, The Vine Cafe
Craft Beer and Breweries: Wash down your culinary delights with a cold, handcrafted brew. St. Louis boasts a thriving craft beer scene, with numerous breweries offering unique, small-batch creations for you to savor. Some of our favorite near-by bars are Modern Brewery & The Kings Oak, The Scottish Arms, Scarlett’s Wine Bar, Urban-Chestnut, International Tap House, Rockwell Beer Company.
Regardless where you like to eat or drink, St.Louis has it all!